We always get the question wondering if it is smart to try and sell your home over the holidays. The truth is, there are pros and cons to having your house on the market during this time. The biggest drawback is adding the extra stress of having your house show ready when you're trying to host your family for the season.
While that is a big drawback, there are some good things about selling your home during this season. There are fewer houses on the market, creating less competition. Holiday buyers tend to be more serious about shopping for a home. You might have to move and really need to put your house up for sale.
With all of that in mind, here are some tips to help sell your house during the holidays.
- Decorations - Being festive during the seasons is what it is all about, but don't go overboard when you're trying to sell. Large decorations can crowd a house and make it look smaller than it is. Also, try to use general winter decorations. Some buyers have a hard time seeing themselves in a home if their religion is different than yours.
- Curb Appeal - During the holidays, you can really dress up your curb appeal, especially since there are only dead grass and dirty snow showing. Touch up that paint, clean up your shrubbery, and use more general winter decorations to draw those buyers in!
- Real Estate Agent - Hire a reputable agent to sell your house. They have lists of people who are looking for a specific home, they can do all the legwork to price and show your house, and by them going above and beyond it relieves the stress put on you during an already stressful time and season.
- Bring that Cozy Feel - When it's cold outside, you want potential buyers to think of your home as a warm, safe haven from the outside. Turn up the heat a bit when there is an open house or a showing. Play some classical holiday music softly in the background and offer some homemade holiday treats. It just might be the final touches needed to push them into making an offer.
- Photos and Videos - With so many people looking for houses on the internet first, you want to make sure your photos shine! Make sure your home's photos are flattering and top-notch. Also, if you can have a video tour of the house, it really helps potential buyers get a sense of your home. It also helps increase the number of people who might not have the time or want to brave the cold to do an in-person showing during the cold season.
With the right Agent, anything is possible, and our team makes selling your house a more simple and stress-free experience. You don't have to do this alone; contact us today to get your home listed and sold!